Chiapas is a state that is characterized by the variety of natural attractions that give us beautiful landscapes to the eye, one of them are the Roberto Barrios Waterfalls.
If you are looking for information to visit this place, this guide will be of great help. Here we share with you: How to get there, Prices, Schedules and everything you need to know.
You can use the Index to go directly to the information you need.
Let’s review the Guide!
Índice de contenidos
How to get to Roberto Barrios Waterfalls
These waterfalls belong to an ejido located 14 km from Palenque, Chiapas. There are several ways to get to the area, here we will explain how to get there from Palenque.
For us the best and easiest way to get there is with this excursion: Roberto Barrios Waterfall Excursion. The price is quite fair, includes round-trip transportation and is the safest option.
How to get from Palenque to Roberto Barrios Waterfalls
To get there by public transportation you can take a pick-up from downtown Palenque.
It is very easy to identify them, as they are pick-up trucks with tarpaulins indicating the name of the waterfalls. The last departure is at 5:00 p.m. and these take you directly.
To get to the Roberto Barrios Waterfalls by car:
- If you are already in Palenque, you should take the road to Ocosingo.
- Continue straight ahead until you find a “Y” fork and take the path to the left.
- After approximately 30 minutes of driving, you will find a turnoff to the right that will take you to the waterfalls.
- The road has signs indicating where to go.
How to get to the waterfalls if you are not in Palenque
To do this you will have to hire a tour.
You should know that the tour prices are quite expensive if you are not in Palenque.
Distances are another factor to consider because they increase significantly and a lot of your time will be spent on transfers.
Conclusion: Although there are options to visit the Roberto Barrios waterfalls from different parts of Chiapas, it is best to do it from Palenque because of the price and the distance to get there.
This is the excursion we recommend: Roberto Barrios Waterfall Excursion
What to expect from the Roberto Barrios Waterfalls
Right in the middle of the jungle, you will find this set of waterfalls. There are five in total and they are arranged on different levels forming a staircase.
The crystal clear water gives a beautiful emerald green tone, in combination with the flora of the place, give an incomparable postcard.
This is what you can do at the Roberto Barrios Waterfalls:
- You can hike along the different trails that lead to the waterfall, where you can observe the rich vegetation of the place.
- Do not forget to take a good picture of the landscape, it will be a good image both as a souvenir and for your social networks.
- The place is a natural spa, because throughout the area there are several pools of different depths where you can take a good bath.
- As an extra attraction, you can slide down the slipperiest parts of the waterfalls as if it were a toboggan. Ask the locals which are the safest areas to do so.
To visit the waterfall we recommend using the Roberto Barrios Waterfall Excursion from Palenque.
Costs in the waterfalls Roberto Barrios
- Entrance fee to the Roberto Barrios Waterfalls: $30.00 per person
- Parking: $10.00
- Car attendants: $15 pesos (gratuity)
- Lifejackets: $50 pesos
- Palapa rental: $50 pesos
*The entrance fee to the Roberto Barrios waterfalls is paid to the ejidatarios, who are in charge of maintaining the site in the best conditions.
Other costs to consider
- Gasoline: $200 pesos (if you decide to drive from Palenque)
- Meals: $150 pesos per person. On the trails leading to the waterfalls it is possible to buy roasted chickens, oranges, pigeon peas, etc. There is also a small restaurant.
- Public transportation: the cost of pick-ups is $50.00 per person.
- If you hire a tour, the cost will depend on the activities included in the tour and the departure point. ($700-$2000)
When to Visit Roberto Barrios Chiapas
The schedule to visit the waterfalls of Roberto Barrios is from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.
The best season
The best months are November to February
From June to October are the rainy months.
During these months it is not possible to swim in the waterfalls and the color of the water changes to a brownish color due to the sudden movement of the water.
You can spend the whole day enjoying the place or schedule a quick visit. Everything will depend on how much free time you have.
A very important point is that there are no places to spend the night at the waterfalls and the roads in the area are more dangerous at night, so plan your visit very well and make sure that your return is still in sunlight.
Where to Sleep
To visit the Roberto Barrios waterfalls, it is best to stay in Palenque and visit from there. These are the hotels we recommend to stay at in Palenque
Maya Tulipanes Palenque
Ideal for couples and families looking to stay in Palenque.
Ideal for families
🏨 If you need accommodation, we recommend looking here 🏨
Where to eat
It is important to know that there are no restaurants or food stands in the area.
We recommend bringing a couple of snacks or a good lunch, since food access is allowed.
It is important to remind you to take care of the environment and pick up your garbage.
Tips for your visit
Now that you know everything this place has to offer, here is a list of things you can’t forget during your visit:
- Carry enough cash, as there are no banks or ATMs in the area.
- Your safety is the most important thing, so you should not drive at night. Please note that the last public buses finish their routes at 5:00 pm.
- Bring a biodegradable sunscreen, as you will be visiting a virgin area. You can protect yourself from the sun with hats or sunglasses.
- Water shoes are a must, as some trails run along the river and waterfall banks.
- A bathing suit and a change of clothes will also be necessary.
- Do not overload your belongings, because from the parking lot to the waterfalls there is a walking distance of 400 meters and there are no places to store your belongings.
- In high season, especially during Easter, both the number of visitors and costs can increase.
- Remember not to leave garbage on the site.
The Roberto Barrios Waterfalls are a hidden paradise that you must visit sometime in your life. Be amazed by the wonders that nature gives you and enjoy a day of relaxation doing a different activity.
You may be interested in
Back to Tourist Places of Chiapas