The Agua Azul Waterfalls also known as Agua Azul Palenque or Agua Azul Chiapas are an example of how impressive and beautiful nature can be.
These waterfalls are a combination of the Otulún, Shumuljá and Tulijá rivers, which result in a series of blue-white waterfalls that are striking for the color of their waters. The color is derived from the carbon salts dissolved in the water creating one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Chiapas.
These waterfalls have been considered a Biosphere Natural Reserve since 1980 and here we will share with you everything you need to know to visit them.
Índice de contenidos
How to get to Agua Azul Waterfalls
There are different ways to visit Agua Azul Chiapas
How to get from Palenque to Agua Azul Waterfalls
To get from Palenque to the Agua Azul Waterfalls in Chiapas, Mexico, you can take a bus or a shared van. Some of the transportation companies that offer this service are ADO, OCC, and Transportes Corazón de Chiapas.
Buses and vans leave regularly from the Palenque bus terminal and take approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes to reach the waterfalls.
It is also possible to hire a tour from Palenque that includes transportation from Palenque to the waterfalls and vice versa.
How to get to the blue water falls from San Cristobal
To get there by car: Before sharing with you the directions, we must warn you that driving from San Cristobal or Tuxtla is very tiring. The distance from San Cristobal to Agua Azul Waterfalls Chiapas is 158 kilometers and it takes approximately 4 hours. The road is full of curves and bumps that make the trip very tiring.
If you want to visit from San Cristobal and your idea is to return to the magical town, we do not recommend going by car. If your plan is to stay in Palenque or continue your trip to other tourist sites (you don’t plan to return to San Cristobal) then it might be worth it.
In any case, here are the indications
- From San Cristobal or Tuxtla Gutierrez the first thing you must do is to go to Ocosingo, it will take you 2 to 3 hours to get there.
- You must take the Ocosingo-Palenque 199 international highway.
- After 1 hour and 40 minutes you will be arriving at this incredible place.
Tip: Use Google maps and download the map so you can use the gps without internet.
To get there by excursion: For us the best way to get there from San Cristobal is by excursion. In the magical town you can find a great variety of options; however, we recommend these:
- Visit to Agua Azul, Misol-Ha and Palenque from San Cristobal
- Visit to Agua Azul, Misol-Ha and Palenque from Tuxtla
- Visit to Agua Azul, Misol-Há from Palenque
Where the Agua Azul Waterfalls are located
The Agua Azul Waterfalls are located in the municipality of Tumbalá, in the north of the State of Chiapas. 64 kilometers from the city of Palenque
The exact location is: 29925 Chis., Mexico
What to do in Agua Azul Waterfalls
The Agua Azul Waterfalls in Chiapas, Mexico, are a popular tourist destination due to their beautiful scenery and crystal clear waters. Here are some activities you can do during your visit:
- Enjoy nature: Take a walk along the trails and hanging bridges to admire the beauty of the waterfalls and the surrounding rainforest.
- Immerse yourself in the crystal clear waters: Swim in the fresh water pools and relax under the waterfalls.
- Hiking: Explore nearby trails and paths to discover more waterfalls and the rich biodiversity of the region. You can hire a local guide to do this.
- Participate in water activities: Rent a kayak or boat to explore the water pools and waterfalls from a different perspective.
- Visit craft stores: Visit local craft stalls to take home unique souvenirs of your trip.
- Take a crafts class: Learn about the Mayan culture and how some of their crafts, such as weavings and pottery, are made.
- Visit the local community: Meet the local people and learn about their way of life and culture.
- Try the typical food: There are several restaurants and places where you can try some of the typical dishes of Chiapas.
- Camping: this is another activity you can do here, you can rent your cabin or camp in the camping areas.
- Take amazing pictures: Take advantage of your visit to take pictures. You can also hire a photo tour if you want to get the best pictures.
Remember to respect the environment and follow the rules and regulations established to preserve the natural beauty of the Agua Azul Waterfalls.
How much does it cost to visit the Agua Azul Waterfalls?
Agua Azul Waterfalls Costs
These are the costs and prices you will find in Agua Azul Chiapas
- Agua Azul Waterfalls Entrance Fee: $50 pesos per person
- Use of restrooms: $5 pesos
- Use of showers: $10 pesos
- Food cost: $150 to $300
- Internet tokens 1 hour: $10 pesos
- 12 hour Internet tokens: $35 pesos
- Cabin Rental: $250 pesos per night
How much does a tour to Agua Azul Waterfalls cost?
These are the two tours that we recommend to get to know this tourist attraction:
When to visit the Agua Azul Waterfalls
These comforting waterfalls located in Chiapas are available for visits by locals and tourists every day of the year.
Hours are Monday to Sunday from 8 am to 6 pm.
The best time to visit Agua Azul Chiapas is during the dry season, which runs from December to April, when the waterfalls are at their most impressive and the crystal clear waters are at their clearest.
If you want to avoid the crowds, it is best to plan your visit during the week, as weekends and holidays can be very busy.
Where to Sleep
There are several lodging options near the Agua Azul Waterfalls in Chiapas, Mexico. Some of the options include cabins, campsites and hotels in the vicinity of the park.
To literally stay at the Agua Azul Waterfalls, the only option is the Yax-ha Cabins.
If you do not have your own or rented car, our recommendation is that you stay at San Cristobal de las Casas (located 4 hours from the waterfalls) or in Palenque Chiapas (it is 1 hour and a half from the blue water falls) and take an excursion from any of these places. Here are our recommendations:
🏨 If you need accommodation, we recommend looking here 🏨
Tips for your visit
In order for you not to miss out on anything that the blue water falls in Chiapas have to offer, you should keep the following in mind:
- Agua Azul Chiapas is also known as Agua Azul Palenque.
- Although elegance is essential, light clothing and walking shoes are recommended. This avoids accidents or unforeseen events.
- On the other hand, it is advisable to wear waterproof shoes, that is, to be prepared for any activity involving rivers and waterfalls. Also wear a bathing suit in case you want to swim.
- Arrive early in the day, so you can enjoy yourself and avoid the crowds.
- Be alert for fast currents, submerging logs and other potential hazards.
- As you will be in contact with nature, do not forget to apply biodegradable insect repellent and an effective sunscreen.
- Most importantly, listen to the warnings and recommendations of the guides and respect the signs and indications for each area.
- Remember that being a remote natural area, the telephone signal tends to be lost, so you will not have to be aware of messages or calls. However, if you need internet service, you can buy prepaid tokens by the hour.
- As there are no ATMs and bank cards are not accepted, be sure to bring enough cash and plan well what you will do.
Attractions near Agua Azul Waterfalls
Back to Tourist sites of Chiapas